Through a contract with the California Department of Education, Ventura Unified School District operates 14 half-day Jumpstart State Preschool programs. The Jumpstart Program is under the auspices of Ventura Unified School District Office of Educational Services, Child Development Programs.
Our State Preschool programs are designed to prepare children for successful entry to kindergarten. Our curriculum offers children opportunities to learn by being actively involved with developmentally appropriate materials in the areas of language, cognitive, social, emotional, creative, and physical development. We value each child as a unique individual and foster a healthy sense of self. We use integrative curriculum that is founded on theories of High Scope and the NAEYC Curriculum Guidelines for Young Children. We pride ourselves in being part of VUSD Language Arts Standards. Jumpstart utilizes a developmental continuum and benchmarks to document and evaluate student learning. It is the goal of Jumpstart to help minimize the gap between pre-K and the K-5 school system and to increase Kindergarten readiness.
When you visit the Jumpstart classrooms you will observe a print rich environment supporting the developmental process of early literacy. Notably, the importance of a culturally and linguistically sensitive learning environment is demonstrated. Children are engaged daily in language/ literacy lessons, as well as ten developmentally based center activities. Children receive a “no cost” nutritionally balanced meal each day. Each Jumpstart Preschool classroom is composed of a Site Leader (Director) and two qualified Classroom Teachers. The program is structured to provide back-to-back instruction, more commonly known as team teaching.
The Jumpstart State Preschool programs follow specific guidelines. In order to enroll a child in one of the programs, the following requirements must be met:
- The child must be between the ages of 2.8 and 4 Yrs.
- California State Preschool Program (CSPP) Age Definitions:
- "CSPP eligible four-year-old children" means children who will have their fourth birthday on or before December 1 of the fiscal year in which they are enrolled in a California State Preschool Program.
- "CSPP eligible three-year-old children" means children who will have their third birthday on or before December 1 of the fiscal year in which they are enrolled in a California State Preschool Program. Children who have their third birthday on or after December 2 of the fiscal year, may be enrolled in a California State Preschool Program on or after their third birthday. Any child under four years of age shall be served in a California State Preschool Program facility, licensed in accordance with Title 22 of the California Code of Regulations. EC 8208 (ai)
- For the 2021/2022 School Year, we accept children who will have their third birthday on or before December 1 of the Current fiscal year.
- The child's family must meet the State Income Guidelines established by the State of California
- The child must be completely "potty" trained before entrance
If the above requirements can be met, the parent or guardian will be required to complete and submit an Eligibility Questionnaire along with the documentation required. These must be provided PRIOR to enrollment in any Jumpstart Preschool program. Forms are available from the following:
- Child Development Programs office
- Pickup from: 255 W. Stanley Avenue, Suite 100, Ventura, CA 93001
- Call Loretta Galaviz at (805) 641-5000 ext. 1031/1029
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org